Pharma & Biotech – Med Tech – Healthcare
Niederer Kraft Frey is a leading firm in the life science and medtech sector. We provide an extensive range of legal advice to companies and have an unparalleled perspective of the sector. Our clients range from investors, start-up companies and large and medium-sized businesses, to universities and research institutions and emerging biotechnology ventures. Our team includes Corporate/M&A, Antitrust/Competition and Regulatory, Capital Markets, Environmental and Intellectual Property lawyers and lawyers with scientific background.
We advise on:
- Mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and flotations
- Commercial agreements including licensing, collaboration and research and development
- Strategies for managing and commercialising patent and trade mark portfolios
- Cross-border litigation and international strategies
- Specialist areas such as tax and environment and have experience in dealing with competition issues arising out of transactions from licences to mergers.
Our Highlights in the sector includes advising:
- Actelion Ltd in one of the largest European M&A deals of the past 20 years. NKF devised and implemented a dual deal structure consisting of the USD 30 billion takeover of Actelion by Johnson & Johnson and the demerger and spin-off to shareholders of Idorsia Ltd which comprised Actelion’s drug discovery and early clinical development business
- GSK in the GSK-Novartis asset swap (Vaccines, Oncology) and joint venture (Consumer Healthcare) transaction
- Medacta Group SA, an international orthopaedics company specialising in the design and production of innovative orthopaedic products and the development of accompanying surgical techniques, in connection with the launch of its IPO
- Chr. Hansen Holding A/S, a leading global bioscience company listed on OMX, on its agreement with Lonza AG, a leading pharma contract manufacturing company listed on SIX, to establish a 50/50 joint venture to pioneer the live biotherapeutic products (LBPs) industry and position themselves as the leading contract development and manufacturing partner (CDMO) for biotech and pharma customers
- Idorsia Ltd in its USD 550 mio capital raising
- Boston Scientific in its acquisition of Swiss based Symetis
- BioTelemetry, Inc. in its successful competing tender and exchange offer for SIX listed med tech company LifeWatch AG
- Actelion Ltd in its successful defense against the proxy fight and hostile takeover attempt of Elliott Associates and other activist firms.