Daniela Franchini acts as counsel, arbitrator and secretary to arbitral tribunals. She also assists parties in pre-arbitration phases and in annulment proceedings against arbitral awards before the Swiss Supreme Court. Her cases relate among others to M&A, joint ventures, distribution, licensing, service agreements, and international sales. Her industry experience includes among others telecommunications, trading, construction, energy, oil and gas, infrastructures, pharma and life science. Daniela Franchini is a member of the Arbitration Court of the Swiss Arbitration Centre.
Daniela Franchini has acted as counsel, arbitrator and secretary to arbitral tribunal in over 40 arbitration proceedings presenting numerous combinations of the major arbitral seats, substantive laws, arbitration rules, and arbitral procedures. She has regularly published in the field of arbitration law.
Before focusing on international arbitration and commercial litigation, Daniela Franchini developed her expertise in general corporate law and commercial contracts.
Experience highlights include:
- Counsel in an ICC case in the telecom industry, representing a Turkish conglomerate against a Finnish-Swedish group*
- Counsel in an UNCITRAL case and in three Swiss Rules cases in the steel industry, representing a leading global steel and raw materials player and a Swiss trading company against, respectively, a major Turkish steel producer, an Indonesian steel producer, a Moroccan manufacturer of pipes and profiles, and a Hong Kong customer*
- Counsel in annulment proceedings in the bank industry, representing a Turkish investment fund against a top-tier Western European bank*
- Sole arbitrator in a Swiss Rules arbitration seated in Zurich between a Maltese company and an Italian shipbuilding company*
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration seated in Zurich between a US trading company and a Serbian manufacturing company*
- Sole arbitrator in a Swiss Rules arbitration seated in Lugano between a Swiss construction company and a Swiss real estate company*
- Secretary of the arbitral tribunal in four high-profile ICC arbitrations seated in Stockholm, Paris (2), and London (amounts in dispute exceeding USD 400,000,000 in two of these cases, USD 600,000,000 and USD 1.5 billion)*
*Transactions handled before joining Niederer Kraft Frey
- Commentary to Art. 1-2 o the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration in: Zuberbühler/Müller/Habegger (edit.), Commentary of the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration, 3rd ed, Zurich 2023
- Review of Swiss arbitration decisions in: Revue de l’arbitrage, 4/2022
- Yearly review of Swiss arbitration cases in: Turkish Journal of International Trade and Arbitration Law (JITAL) (2014 to 2021)
- Yearly review of Swiss arbitration cases in: Rivista dell’Arbitrato (since 2019)
- L’ammissibilità di consulenti esterni del tribunale arbitrale nel diritto svizzero in: Rivista dell’arbitrato, Anno XXVI Fasc. 2, 2016
- Geneva and Swiss Bar Associations
- Swiss Arbitration Centre (Court Member)
- Swiss Arbitration Association
- Associazione Italiana per l’Arbitrato (AIA)
- Associazione Internazionale Giuristi di Lingua Italiana (AIGLI)
Spanish (basic knowledge)